I can sum up our month with two very dominant themes: potty training and friends. Let me explain...
Sophia turned two and a half on June 1st which I deemed as the appropriate day to start potty training. We had everything we needed...salty snacks, lots to drink, stickers, sticker board, treats, big girl panties, and best of all, Nana and Papa (I NEEDED the back up, just ask them). Anyway, Sophia did really well for her first day. She went pee pee on the potty 4 times with only one accident! Success, right?!?! Wrong. Several days went by and we would have good days followed by bad days followed by a few more good days. We took a day off on June 7th just to relax and recuperate a bit at an indoor water park about an hour away. We all had a blast and I seriously needed to stop obsessing over this potty stuff. She wore a swim diaper all day with no complaint so that was that.
I decided to get back to potty training full force the next day only to get some serious resistance from my toddler. Several days later I had decided to throw in the towel. Except-- I had read a potty training book that talked about throwing a potty party for your child. I just knew she could be potty trained, I just needed to find a way to make her want to go pee pee on the potty. So, on June 13th I threw her a last-ditch-effort potty party. She always seemed to like Hello Kitty and she loves having tea parties so I threw those two ideas together and went for it.
What a day that was! Early in the morning she found a brand new baby doll in her highly decorated bathroom. Throughout the morning we taught the baby how to go pee pee and poo poo on the potty and we reminded the doll that "big girls keep their panties dry" and "big girls don't go pee pee or poo poo in their big girl panties". It was a lot of fun, actually! Then after nap it was time for her to show her doll how to be a big girl. She was somewhat resistant so I was feeling quite defeated. One time while I was trying to coax Sophia into the bathroom she protested saying, "I don't want to go pee pee! I want to paint!" At that moment I had the best idea...I set up an arts and crafts table in the bathroom! She totally went for it! And the rest is history! She only wears pull ups at nap and bed time now. Score one for Mommy!!!
So here is where our second theme, friends, comes into play. On June 14th, the Imondi's came to visit us for the weekend! What fabulous timing it was! Isabelle is three and a half and is potty trained. She LOVED showing Sophia how big girls go pee pee on the potty. Sophia was so excited to see her friend being such a big girl just like her! We kept very busy that weekend...on June 15th we participated in the Father's Day walk/run on base followed by a fun day at the base pool. On June 16th we celebrated Brad, Patrick, and Joe by going to church, having brunch at the house, and letting the Dads go out to a movie while the Moms held down the fort during nap time. We finished our fun day by going out to eat for a yummy steak dinner.
On June 21st Tyler and I flew out to Orlando where we were picked up by Candice, one of my best friends from physical therapy school. She and her husband Danny and their son Cameron so graciously hosted us for the weekend. I was so excited to introduce them to Tyler and to meet Cameron. On June 22nd Candice, Tyler and I drove to Jacksonville. We met up with Nana and Papa so they could take Tyler for an outing. It was then that Candice and I went to the memorial service of Mr. David Riesterer, Kelly's Dad. Kelly is another one of my best friends from physical therapy school and she and her amazing husband Christian are expecting their first child in late July. I was fortunate enough to get to know Mr. Riesterer during my time at the University of Florida and he was such a kind, active, family-centered man. I was honored and thankful to be able to make it to his memorial service and spend time with his family. After the service we spent several hours at the Riesterer home followed by a delicious dinner at Mellow Mushroom. Later that evening Candice and I said our good-byes and headed back to Orlando.
Tyler and I had an uneventful trip back to Oklahoma City on June 23 and were able to meet up with Joe, Sophia, and the Dixon's for a minor league baseball game. Let me just tell you....it was fun but it was HOT outside! On June 28th we had a third wave of visits with dear friends. Our friends Stacy, Phillip, Lucas, and Mia Henrikson came to Altus to visit us on their way home from a very long road trip! We were so thrilled to see them all! They stayed for just over 24 hours but we really made the best of it. We squeezed in a visit to the base pool, pedicures for the Mommies, play time in the back yard, and a barbecue!!
So fun, right?? This summer has been truly amazing thus far. I feel so blessed! Before I finish my narrative of this month I must mention that Sophia was not only potty trained this month but she can also clearly articulate several opposites! She knows in/out, up/down, hot/cold, loud/quiet, wet/dry, etc! My only problem now is that she asks me what the opposite of Elmo is and I really have no idea what to say! Tyler has also been busy this month as he now says both "ma" and "la" sounds in addition to the "da" sounds he made a couple months ago. He also learned to wave and is much more proficient at blowing raspberries. He also LOVES kicking and splashing his arms when we take him to the pool. Such a cutie!!
Sophia helping make her half birthday cupcakes
Pool time in the back yard
At the indoor water park in Clinton, OK
Playing with Daddy!
Tyler loved being in water for the first time!
SPLASH!
He was a happy boy :)
Sophia and Will playing at the water park
Taking a calm float down the lazy river....Tyler was very relaxed :)
With Brittney and Will!
Time to warm up!
Tyler is 11 months old!! Taken 6-9-13.
How I feel after putting the kids to bed at night...
Tyler loves to cover himself up with his blankies!
Potty Party day! The living room.
Babies and friends ready for a tea party.
A trail of Hello Kitty faces lead Sophia to the potty
Hello Kitty bathroom!
Our big Red Sox fan :)
Sophia and Isabelle loving on Tyler :)
Sophia loved her arts and crafts table in the bathroom
Showing off her masterpiece.
James, Tyler, and Will taking a bath.
Boy time!
Now the girls join in the fun!
How Sophia eats a donut...
Bite off all the frosting...
....now she's all done!
Sophia and Isabelle enjoying their after-chuch treats on Father's Day
My boys :)
Sophia literally stopped to smell the flowers
Brad and James Imondi
Brad with his kids on Father's Day
Someone is feeling grumpy...
Sweet boy!
Imondi family sans Isabelle....she wasn't in the mood for a family photo ;)
The girls taking off their shoes. Monkey see, monkey do!
Joe and his kiddos on Father's Day
Family photo!
Joe with our Godson, James
Playing with Daddy
My life is so hard!!
Tyler loves to copy what Sophia does
Tyler loved his first OREO cookie. I can't blame him!
What a messy boy!
Learning to drink from a cup!
Joe and Patrick in their C17 simulator
Tyler looking good in Mommy's glasses
Kelly, Candice, and me
Sophia enjoying some nachos at the Oklahoma City Redhawks baseball game
Sophia and Daddy feeding the geese and ducks
Tyler made a mess eating his refried beans
Reading his card from Grandma and Grandpa
Sophia loves her new jammies from Grandma and Grandpa
Story time with Daddy
Hanging out at the base pool!
Kiss kiss!
She loves when Daddy gives her spiky hair
Opening gifts from Nana and Papa
Pairing her new shirt with her winter boots...crazy girl!
I am in awe, as usual. I love to see how big they're both getting! I can't believe that Tyler is almost ONE! So exciting :) Congrats on the potty training!
I am in awe, as usual. I love to see how big they're both getting! I can't believe that Tyler is almost ONE! So exciting :) Congrats on the potty training!
ReplyDelete